The ABS Bookstore
The ABS maintains a voluteer, non-profit "bookstore" of books and publications
related to bamboo. The bookstore is dedicated to distributing as much information
about bamboo as possible at the lowest possible prices. Herbert Hillary is the
manager of the ABS bookstore. You can contact him at:
1909 Richcreek Road
Austin, TX 78757
(512) 452-7146 - home
Books and Publications Available from the ABS Bookstore
- David G. Fairchild, "Japanese Bamboos and their Introduction into America"
USDA Bulletin No. 43, 1903. Paperback. 43 pages. $4.00
- F.A. McClure, "Bamboo as a Building Material." USDA Foreign Service, 1953.
Paperback. 52 pages. $4.00
- H.H. Sineath, P.M. Daugherty, R.N. Hutton, T.A. Wastier, "Industrial Raw
Materials of Plant Origin, Volume V. A Survey of the Bamboos." Engineering
Experiment Station of the Georgia Institute of Technology, 1953. Paperback. 240
- Bamboos, Recht, Christine and Wetterwald, Max F., edited by David
Crampton, Timber Press, Portland, Oregon, 1992.
- "Bamboo Production Research at Savannah, Georgia, 1958-1977." $4.00.
- "Bamboo Growing in Alabama." Agricultural Experiment Station, Auburn
- "Bamboos of the Genus Phyllostachys Under Cultivation in the US." $4.00.
- "Bamboo on the Farm" by Daphne Lewis (an ABS member) $15.00.
- Cultivation of Bamboo in Japan by Sir Ernest Satow, 1899. $8.00
- The Bamboo Garden by A.B. Freeman-Mitford. London. 1896. $8.00.
- The Bamboos by F.A. McClure (with a new forward by Gerald Bol, past
president of the ABS, and an introduction by Dr. Lynn Clark, Iowa State
- "Bamboo in the United States" USDA Handbook #193. June 1961. $4.00.
- "Bamboo Culture and Utilization in Puerto Rico" USDA Circular #29. April,
- "Bamboos and Bamboo Culture" USDA Leaflet 18. $1.00.
- "Growing Ornamental Bamboo." USDA Bulletin 76. August, 1961. $1.00.
- "Growing Ornamental Bamboo." USDA Bulletin 76. Revised August, 1978.
- "Nuseries of the Bambouseraie" General Catalog, PraFrance (in English.)
- "Bambus" by Wolfgang Eberts, Baden-Baden, Germany. Catalog for the garden
(in German.) Excellent information from the pictures, even if you can't read
The Bookstore has back issues of the ABS Journals. Volumes 1 through 5 and
volumes 7 and 9 are $10.00 each. Volumes 6 and 8 are $15.00 each. The complete
set of 9 is $95.00.
All prices are in $US and include postpaid delivery in the US. For overseas
delivery, please add $10.00 per order to cover the much higher shipping costs.
Please make checks payable to Herb Hillery and somewhere on the check make a
note that it is for "ABS Books."
The Bamboo Information Center of the Chinese Academy of Forestry has a
number of publications about bamboo available. There is a short
description of each publication and ordering information
INBAR, the International Network for Bamboo and Rattan has a
collection of publications about bamboo and rattan available. They are
listed on a separate page so you can print the page as an order form.
Several ABS members, who are commercial bamboo growers, also have books
available. I'll fill in the information about these sources as I receive the
If you would like to comment
on this page, please do.
Back to the Home Page!