Undated holograph notes and jottings by A.W. Lawrence relating to his work on Herodotus
Bodleian Library, University of OxfordOriginal catalogue by Judith Priestman. EAD version by Harriet Costelloe
Department of Special Collections
Search Online Catalogues
Shelfmark: MS. Eng. c. 8261
Title: Undated holograph notes and jottings by A.W. Lawrence relating to his work on Herodotus
Dates of Creation: 1990, n.d.
Extent: 48 leaves
Language(s) of Material: English
Arnold Walter Lawrence (1900-1991) was a professor in classical sculpture and architecture, and Fellow of the British Academy.
He founded what later became the Ghana Museums and Monuments Board as well as the National Museum of Ghana.
Scope and Content
Undated holograph notes and jottings by A.W. Lawrence relating to his work on Herodotus, with a few miscellaneous papers.
- (fol. 1) an envelope labelled ‘HDT. Rough data for BOOKS III-IX Persians’
- (fols. 2-32) notes (fol. 32 possibly written by ‘The other Peggy’)
- (fol. 33) an incomplete, undated letter to Lawrence ‘from The other Peggy’, headed ‘Katydis / Gaza’
- (fols. 34-6) a photocopy of an obituary of Tressilian Charles Nicholas from
The Cambridge Review, Jun 1990
- (fols. 37-44) photographs and cards, including (fol. 39) a postcard of La Citadelle de Janina
- (fols. 45-8) a letter to Peggy Guido (Cecily Margaret Piggott) from Edwin Wolff, 1990, enclosing photocopies of a letter from
The Times, 29 Aug 1990, a letter about T. E Lawrence from Robert Graves to
The Times, Nov 1973, and an autograph letter to Woolff from Graves, .
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Given by Peggy Guido, 1992.
Preferred Form of Citation
Oxford, Bodleian Library MS. Eng. c. 8261
Lawrence | Arnold Walter | 1900-1991 | academic
Transformation from XML (EAD 2.0) to HTML
05 April 2016