Shortly after the first dissolution of Dartford Priory in 1539, Henry VIII decided to provide himself with a series of houses on the road from London to the coast. Buildings formerly associated with Dartford Priory were demolished, and Dartford manor house was erected in their stead. The accounts were kept by James Needham (fl. 16th century), one of the surveyors of the King's works at Dartford.
Typescript copies, with manuscript notes, of the building accounts of Dartford manor house, 1541-4 (MSS. Rawl. D. 783-4), with (c. 14) a paper by J.W. Kirby based upon the accounts, entitled 'The manor house of Henry VIII at Dartford', c. 1959.
Given to the Library in 1959.Access Conditions
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/services/admissions/).
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. II, nos. 54402-3.Related Units of Description
See also the pay-books for building accounts of James Needham, surveyor of all the King's manors within the realm of England, for the years 1532-1544 (MSS Rawlinson D 755-785).
Building | 16th century
Needham | James | fl 16th century | surveyor